In the dairy industry, an efficient steam boiler is almost as necessary to operations as the cows themselves. Steam heat plays a critical role in turning raw milk into high-quality dairy products that are safe for public consumption. That’s why the choice of a good dairy steam boiler is one of the most important decisions a dairy must make.
How Steam Is Used in Dairy Operations
Before being bottled or packaged for drinking — or turned into other dairy products like cheese, butter and yogurt — raw milk must undergo a temporary heating process that kills off pathogens and other impurities. Typically, this occurs through one of two processes:
Pasteurization, which raising the temperature of the milk to just under 212 degrees Fahrenheit to neutralize bacteria that can cause disease or spoilage Ultra-high temperature processing (UHT), which raises the temperature of the milk above 275 degrees Fahrenheit for 3-5 seconds to kill bacterial spores
Steam is an efficient tool for these heating processes because it can be easily directed and applied for specific time frames to ensure proper and even heating of the milk. The steam system also has another critical role in the dairy by sterilizing the surfaces and handling materials to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
Advantages of Miura Boilers for Dairy Operations
A growing number of dairies, both large and small, are turning to Miura’s compact, water tube boiler systems for their steam heating needs. Here are a few key advantages that an industrial boiler from Miura brings to dairies in particular:
- Speedy startup and shutdown. Miura boilers go from a cold start to producing steam in as little as 5 minutes, which means dairies can power them up and down without much downtime waiting for heating up or cool down.
- Modular configurations to accommodate fluctuating demands. In addition to quick startups, individual Miura boilers can be configured modularly in series to power up and down as needed for fluctuating demands.
- Compact, space-saving design. Miura boilers have a footprint that is between 33 and 50 percent smaller than more conventional boilers, which means they can fit through smaller doors and occupy less valuable square footage.
- Improved efficiency. Quick startup times and modular designs mean Miura boilers can produce steam quickly and with less fuel and water waste. Most companies report an average of 20 percent savings or greater on their energy bills.
- Reliability and lower maintenance. Miura boilers come equipped with powerful monitoring and self-diagnostic features that anticipate and pinpoint problems before they arise, preventing a large number of expensive shutdowns and repairs.
Your choice of steam boiler for your dairy could have a significant impact on your productivity and your bottom line. To learn more about whether Miura is right for your dairy, call 1-855-817-3722.